8 October 2020 Current Affairs
Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi initiated Jan Andolan campaign to spread awareness on COVID19. The campaign was launched by PM Modi on the Social Media Platform Twitter. The campaign is a high-intensity, low cost campaign which gives key messages about social distancing, significance of mask wearing and hand hygiene.
- The campaign has been launched in view of the upcoming festivals and winter season as well as the opening up of the economy.
Smriti Irani Union Minister for Textiles launched the first-ever Brand and Logo for Indian Cotton on the occasion of Second World Cotton Day. The function was held virtually through Video Conferencing. From now on, India’s premium cotton would be known as ‘Kasturi Cotton’ in the world cotton trade.
- The Kasturi Cotton brand will represent Whiteness, Brightness, Softness, Purity, Luster, Uniqueness and Indianness.
- India is the second largest cotton producer and the largest consumer of cotton in the world.
Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) which is a central government department under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry launched the Startup India Showcase Platform. The listed companies in the platform will be considered by the government and corporate buyers as potential suppliers of goods or services.
- The startups listed on the website will be handpicked by experts, and will go through multiple screening and evaluation tests.
- The platform will also serve as an online networking portal, by mentioning LinkedIn and Twitter pages of the founders.
- Founded: 1995
- Parent organization: Ministry of Commerce and Industry
AIIA signed agreement with Amity University to Promote research in Ayurveda
All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) which is a public Ayurveda medicine and research institution located in New Delhi signed agreement with Amity University (Private Research University) to Promote research in Ayurveda.
- The two Institutions will work together for evolving knowledge and procedures which will be of use to the National Healthcare System and ultimately to Health solutions that will be of relevance at a population scale.
About AYUSH Ministry:
- Union Minister: Shripad Yesso Naik
India Meteorological Department to launch impact-based cyclone warning system, Dynamic
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) that is an agency of the Ministry of Earth Sciences of the Government of India will launch will launch impact-based cyclone warning system, Dynamic.
- The aim of this system is to minimize economic losses and damage to property due to the intense weather system.
- Also, ‘Chasing the Cyclones’, organised as part of World Space Week celebrations by the Indian Society of Remote Sensing.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Founded: 1875
Road Transport Ministry increases allocation of funds for SARDP-NE Road Development Programme
Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has increased the allocation of funds under Special Accelerated Road Development Programme in North Eastern Areas (SARDP-NE) which is a programme for providing road connectivity to all the district headquarters in the north eastern region.
- Under this programme 760 crore rupees have been set aside for SARDP-NE against the earlier 390 crore ruppees. Of this, 300 crore rupees is specifically earmarked for Arunachal Pradesh package.
About Ministry of Road Transport and Highways:
- Union Minister: Nitin Jairam Gadkari
Tamil Nadu’s guidance, nodal investment promotion and facilitation agency has collaborated with the World Economic Forum (WEF) which is the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation to launch Country’s advanced manufacturing hub (AMHUB) in the Tamil Nadu. AMHUB is Advanced Manufacturing hub and is first of its kind in the country.
- AMHUB is one of the 19 platforms designed by the WEF.
AMHUB focuses on:
- Addressing Regional Opportunities
- Engaging regional production
- Challenges brought by Fourth Industrial Revolution
Assam Chief Minister launches Kisan Rath Mobile App for farmers
Sarbananda Sonowal, Chief Minister of Assam launched Kisan Rath Mobile App. It will facilitate timely selling of Agriculture products by promoting buyer seller network in a programme.
- The Application was designed by National Informatics Center which is an office under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology in the Indian government.
- Chief Minister: Sarbananda Sonowal
- Capital: Dispur
Ladakh signed agreement with NDDB to promote livelihood through Dairying
Union Territory of Ladakh has signed Agreement with NDDB which is an institution of national importance set up by an Act of Parliament of India for conducting survey of dairying and rural livelihood in the Union Territory.
- The Survey will help prepare a road map to boost dairying in the UT and will help in enhancing income of the rural population in the mountainous border areas.
- Chairman: Dilip Rath
- Headquarters: Anand, Gujarat
- Lieutenant Governor: Radha Krishna Mathur
- Capital: Leh
The government of India appointed M Rajeshwar Rao as Reserve Bank of India’s Deputy Governor. He succeeded NS Vishwanathan as the central bank’s fourth deputy governor. Earlier government has selected Shashanka Bhide, Jayanth Varma and Ashima Goyal as three external members of the rate-setting Monetary Policy Committee (MPC).
- M Rajeshwar Rao joined in RBI in 1984, holding various positions. Prior to this appointment, M Rajeshwar Rao was served as an executive director at RBI.
Current Deputy Governors of RBI:
- M Rajeshwar Rao
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: 1 April 1935
Kotak Asset Management Company MD Nilesh Shah reelected as Amfi chairman
Kotak Asset Management Company managing director Nilesh Shah reelected as Mutual fund industry body Amfi chairman.In addition to, Saurabh Nanavati, who is the chief executive officer of Invesco Asset Management (India) Pvt Ltd, has been re-elected as the vice-chairman of Amfi.
- Shah, who was earlier elected as the chairman for 2019-2020, would continue to hold the office till next annual meeting.
J Venkatramu appointed as MD, CEO of India Post Payments Bank
J Venkatramu appointed as Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of India Post Payment Bank (IPPB) for tenure of three years. He will succeed Suresh Sethi. Suresh Sethi will serve till March, 2020.
- Presently, Venkatramu is Chief Digital Officer at Equitas Small Finace Bank. His appointment is approved by Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
Summits & Conference
Prime Minister of India to address Invest India Conference in Canada. Invest India is a non-profit venture under the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India. The Conference for the year 2020 is being held in Canada.
- The Conference aims to give Canadian business community a first-hand perspective of the opportunities to invest in India and showcase India as an investment destination.
- Invest India, is a non-profit venture under the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India set up in 2009.
Awards & Honors
The Swedish and Norwegian institutions has announced the Nobel Prize Winners in the field of Literature. Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine, Physics and Chemistry was already announced by the academy.
- Now the academy conferred Nobel Literature Prize to Louise Gluck. She is an American poet and essayist.
- Louise Gluck was awarded Nobel Prize 2020 in Literature for unmistakable poetic voice that with austere beauty makes individual existence universal
Chqbook initiates India’s First Financial Control Center on Mobile to boost Small Business Owners
Chqbook.com launched India’s First Financial Control Center which a new mobile platform to boost small business owners.
- It will give solution to manage everyday financial needs and to access financial products.
- com is India’s first neobank for small business owners offering world-class financial services through its five pillars of current account, khata, lending, insurance, and rewards.
- Founder & CEO: Vipul Sharma
Ranking & Reports
World Bank which is a international financial institution released the Biennial Poverty and Shared Prosperity report. As per the Date in the report, around 150 million people are likely to enter extreme poverty due to covid-19 pandemic in different countries.
- As per the report coronavirus pandemic situation will include an additional 88 million to 115 Million people to Extreme Poor. This will raise the amount of poor people to 150 million by 2021.
- If the COIVD19 situation had not occurred in the globe, the poverty rate would have dropped by 7.9% in the year 2020.
- According to the report the Global poverty rate by 2030 could be around 7%.
World Bank which is an international organization dedicated to providing financing, advice, and research to developing nations has forecasted Gross Domestic Product (GDP). As per World Bank, India’s GDP is expected to contract by 9.6 per cent this fiscal.
- According to World Bank Regional growth is projected to rebound to 4.5 per cent in 2021.
About World Bank:
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- Founded: July 1944
Russia Test-Fired new Hypersonic Cruise Missile named Tsirkon
Russia has successfully test-fired new Tsirkon Hypersonic Cruise Missile in northwestern Russia.
- The Range of this missile is 450 km in four and half minutes and reached hypersonic speeds of more than Mach 8 which is Hypersonic Anti-Ship Missile
- The missile traveled four and a half minutes at the hypersonic speed of more than Mach 8 and a maximum altitude of 28 kilometers.
- Capital: Moscow
- President: Vladimir Putin
- Currency: Russian ruble
EX CBI chief and Former Nagaland Governor Ashwani Kumar passes away
Former Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) director and former governor of Nagaland Ashwani Kumar passed away by suicide.
- He served as Assistant Superintendent of Police in the districts of Mandi and Kangra from 1975 to 1977.
- He served as Director CBI for more than two years. He retired from the post of Director CBI in November 2010
Every year Air Force Day is observed on October 08. This year the Indian Air Force (IAF) observes its 88th anniversary. Every year India showcases the air defence it has developed over time. This year the fighter aircraft Rafale will feature in the Air Force parade that will be held in Ghaziabad at Hindon airbase.
- The IAF is a branch of the Indian Armed forces which was established back in 1932 during the British rule itself on October 8th, 1932.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Founded: 8 October 1932, India