26th September 2020 Current Affairs
The National Medical Commission (NMC) which is the new apex regulator of medical education and profession of the country came into existence on 25 September 2020.
- The Board replaces the Medical Council of India (MCI).
- Former head of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) ENT department, Dr Suresh Chandra Sharma, has been appointed as chairman for a tenure of three years.
- The Board of NMC comprises a chairman, 10 ex-officio members and 22 part-time members.
Union External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar addresses Ministerial meeting of Alliance for Multilateralism
External Affairs Minister of India S Jaishankar addressed the Ministerial meeting of Alliance for Multilateralism. During the Meeting he highlighted the the international solar alliance and coalition for disaster resilient infrastructure.
- Discussions were held about the Jal Jeevan and Ujala schemes and the Aarogya Setu app.
About Ministry of External Affairs:
- Union Minister: Subrahmanyam Jaishankar
- Minister of State: V. Muraleedharan
National Webinar on Credit Mechanism, Mobility and Academic Bank of Credit organised by Education Ministry
Education Ministry organised a National Webinar on ‘Credit Mechanism, Mobility and Academic Bank of Credit’. The Ministry is observing “ShikshakParv” from8 to 25 September, 2020. As a part of this initiative the ministry has organised various webinars on the newly announced NEP 2020.
- This Credit Mechanism, Mobility and Academic Bank of Credit webinar was initiated by Dr. Pankaj Mittalby who highlighted the importance of ShikshakParv and the concept of the webinar.
About Education Ministry:
- Union Minister: Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’
- Minister of State: Dhotre Sanjay Shamrao
Centre for Disability Sports Foundation Stone Laid at Gwalior,Madhya Pradesh, organised by Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities
Centre for Disability Sports Foundation Stone was Laid at Gwalior,Madhya Pradesh. The function was organised by DEPwD which is under Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry. Because of the coronavirus situation the function was held through video conferencing.
- Union Minister, Narendra SinghTomar and Bharat Singh Kushwah, Minister of State for Horticulture &Food Processing were presented in this occasion.
- Cabinet approved for Setting up of a Centre for Disability Sports at Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh on 28 February, 2019.
- Total estimated cost to set up the Centre is Rs.170.99 crore.
India and Denmark signed a MoU in the field of Intellectual Property Cooperation. This MoU signed by Guruprasad Mohapatra who serves as a Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade Secretary and Freddy Svane, Ambassador of Denmark.
- In addition to this the both countries will prepare a biennial Work Plan to implement the MoU which will include the detailed planning for carrying out of the co-operation activities, including the scope of action.
- Capital: Copenhagen
- Currency: Danish krone
Webinar on Defence Industry Global Outreach for Collaborative Partnership held between India and Cambodia
A webinar was held between India and Cambodia. It was organized by the Department of Defence Production, Ministry of Defence through The Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers.
- Currently, India holds webinars with friendly foreign countries with an aim to boost defence exports and achieve defence export target of $5 billion in the next five years.
- The Theme of webinar was “Indian Defence Industry Global Outreach for Collaborative Partnership: Webinar and Expo”.
World Bank & Bangladesh signs loan agreement worth 200 million dollar for safe water & sanitation
The World Bank is an international financial institution has approved a 200 million dollar loan agreement to Bangladesh to improve access to safe water and sanitation services in the rural areas of the country.
- The Bangladesh Rural Water, Sanitation and Hygiene project is expected to provide clean water through piped water schemes in rural areas 6 lakh people.
- The project will also help in setting up more than 2500 handwashing stations in public places with overhead tanks for running water and sanitation facilities.
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Bangladeshi taka
Rajasthan State Government has got 300 million dollar loan approval from Asian Development Bank for water supply, sanitation infrastructure and services in secondary towns of Rajasthan.
- The project is likely to build citywide access for improved water supply services for around 5.7 lakh people and enhanced sanitation services for about 7.2 lakh people in minimum 14 secondary towns.
- Governor: Kalraj Mishra
- Chief Minister: Ashok Gehlot
- Capital: Jaipur
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa
- Founded: 19 December 1966
The Reserve Bank of India has released the Technology Vision for Cyber Security’ for Urban Co-operative Banks (UCBs) – 2020-2023. The main aim of this is to enhance the cyber security posture of the Urban Co-operative banking sector against evolving IT and cyber threat environment.
- RBI has planned to achieve this objective through its five-pillared strategic approach ‘GUARD’.
G – Governance Oversight
U – Utile Technology Investment,
A- Appropriate Regulation and Supervision
R – Robust Collaboration
D – Developing necessary IT, cyber security skills set.
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: 1 April 1935, Kolkata.
Summits & Conference
Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi will address the United Nations General Assembly. The Assembly will be held through online due to COVID19 situation.
- India is a founding member of the United Nations, signing the UN Charter, along with 50 other countries, on 26 June, 1945.
- The theme of the 75th UNGA is – The Future we want, the United Nations we need, reaffirming our collective commitment to multilateralism – confronting the COVID-19 through effective multilateral action.
- President: Tijjani Muhammad-Bande
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Founder: United Nations
- Founded: 1945
A bilateral summit was held between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Prime Minister of Sri Lanka Mahinda Rajapaksa.
- The Meeting was held virtually because COVID19 crisis. In the Summit PM Modi has announced USD 15 million grant assistance to Sri Lanka for the promotion of Buddhist ties between the two countries.
About Sri Lanka:
- Capitals: Colombo, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
- Currency: Sri Lankan rupee
- Prime Minister: Mahinda Rajapaksa
Rajat Sud appointed as Managing Director of Energy Efficiency Services Limited
Energy Efficiency Services Limited is a joint venture of Public Sector Unit of Power Ministry announced the appointment of Rajat Sud as its Managing Director.
- Rajat Sud Sud succeeded Gopal Director who is going to take a additional charge of interim MD.
- Before joining EESL, Sud served as Executive VP at Sterlite Power Transmission Ltd. He has also served in leadership positions at Siemens IT Solutions (SISL) and PwC.
About Energy Efficiency Services Limited:
- Ministry: Ministry of Power (India)
- Founded: 10 December 2009
- Location: New Delhi
Sunil Sethi appointed as Khadi and Village Industries Commission’s Advisor
KVIC has appointed Sunil Sethi, who is prominent personality in the fashion industry, as its advisor.
- He will give advice to the Commission on the latest design interventions in the readymade garments segment as well as promotion of Khadi in India and abroad.
- He is appointed for a period of one year. Prior to his appointment fashion designer Ms Ritu Beri served as advisor to KVIC.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: 1956
India-Japan Maritime bilateral exercise JIMEX begins in North Arabian Sea. The two nations performed their fourth edition of this exercise this year. Due to COVID19 situation the exercise is conducted in a non-contact at-sea-only format.
- JIMEX is a Maritime exercise which is conducted two year once between India and Japan. The exercise was started in 2012. The last edition of JIMEX was held in the year 2018 in the Visakhapatnam coast.
- Capital: Tokyo
- Currency: Japanese yen
- Prime minister: Yoshihide Suga
The Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO) has started the production of Pinaka missiles. All Details of missile production have been handed over to Directorate General of Quality Assurance.
- Pinaka is a multibarrel rocket launch (MBRL) system used by the Indian Army.
- As of 2014 India has been producing 5000 missiles every year.
- Pinaka is a free flight artillery rocket system having a range of 37.5 km.
- Chairman: Dr G. Satheesh Reddy
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Founded: 1958
Every year World Environmental Health Day is observed on September 26. The International Federation of Environmental Health (IFEH) proclaimed World Environmental Health Day in 2011.
- This day aims to promote environmental health knowledge to the people and cooperation between countries to improve world’s environment.
- The Theme for this year World Environmental Health Day is “Environmental health, a key public health intervention in disease pandemic prevention”.
About International Federation of Environmental Health:
- Headquarters: London, United Kingdom
- Founded: 1986
Every Year International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons observed on September 26.
- This day reminds the international community of the pressing need for global nuclear disarmament, and a moment to remember the tragic destruction that these weapons have caused to human lives and the environment.
- This Year, the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons also marks the 50th anniversary of the Non Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT).
- Secretary General: Antonio Guterres
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Founded: 24 October 1945