General English Q & A – Part V
- Match the correct suffix with the root words
- Choose the correct pair to fill in the correct articles in the blank:
_______road to success is not ______bed of roses. Gandhi became”
_______leader par excellence; that made Churchill_______ greatest and the most successful wartime leader.
a) the the the a
b) a a a the
c) the a a the
d) the some a the
3. Choose the correct question tag:
I am a student
a) amn’t I?
b) ain’t I?
c) are I?
d) am I?
4. Choose the sentence which has no error.
a) I place great confidence on you
b) I place great confidence in you
c) I place great confidence of you
d) I place great confidence with you
5. Choose the correct pattern for the sentence He is a professor with a lot of experience.
6. Find the odd one of the following words.
7. The plural form of ‘alumna’ is
8. Which of the following sentence is wrong?
a) Teach me to fish I will live for life time
b) One never knows what the future will bring
c) All that glitters is hot gold
d) We has been living in this house since 1995
9. Pick out the correct passive form of the verb.
We should help the poor.
a) must be helped
b) will be helped should be helped
c) should be helped
d) shall be helped
10. If I_____ the Principal of my school. I would abolish examinations.
d) will be
11. Fill in the blanks with correct option Lecdem is the blended form of
a) Lecture and demon
b) Lecture and demonstration
c) lecturer and demo
d) Lecturer and demonstration
12. Choose the correct sentence which has no error x
a) Geetha’s father is a MLA
b) Geetha’s father is the MLA Geetha’s father is an MLA
c) Geeths’s father is an MLA
d) Geetha’s father is MLA
13. Select the correct sentence
Cakes are softer than cookies
a) Cakes are softer than cookies
b) Cakes are more soft than cookies
c) Cakes are softer then cookies
d) Cakes are soft than cookies
14. Join the sentences given below. Choosing the correct relative pronoun furnished in brackets I know the girl. She is a famous sportsperson (whom/who)
a) I know the girl whom is a famous sportsperson
b) I know the girl who she is a famous sportsperson MI know the girl who is a famous sportsperson
c) I knonw the girl who is a famous sportsperson
d) I know the girl whom she is a famous sportsperson
15. Dancing bird is a compound word formed by combining
a) Noun + Gerund
b) Adjective + Gerund
c) Gerund + Noun
d) Preposition + Noun
16. Match the following:
- Which of the following lines belongs to “William Shakespeare
a) Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks But bears .it out even to the edge of the doom
B) But O heart! heart! heart
O the bleeding drops O red !
c) For I’m off to outer space tomorrow morning
d) The music in my heart I bore
Long after it was heard no more
- Here __________Laika into space.
a) will go
19. Find out the figures of speech in the following lines:
“Laugh till the game is played”
20. Match the synonyms with their meanings
|(a) Coarse||1.||Push Roughly in a crowd|
|(d) Jostle||4.||Mass movement from one place|
- Match the correct Suffix
- It _______heavily since last night.
a) has been raining
b) was raining
c) is raining
d) were raining
23. Pick out the correct active form of the verb.
A poem has been written by Gopi
a) has written
b) had written
c) would have written
d) would write
24. Match the sentences with their patterns.
|(a)||They elected himleader||1.||SVA|
|(b)||He wore his new uniform||2.||SVO|
|(c)||He was excited||3.||SVC|
|(d)||She went to Chennai||4.||SVOC|
- Fill in the blank with correct Homophone.
The Police tried to _____information from the bootlegger who sells_____ liquor.
a) illicit, elicit
b) illegible, legible
c) elucidate, illicit
d) elicit, illicit
26. Match the phrases in Column A with their suitable clauses in Column B
|Column A||Column B|
|(A)||Despite his sickness||1.||Kalam became a great scientist|
|(B)||On seeing the snake||2.||the teacher appreciated me|
|(C)||By working hard||3.||she ran away|
|(D)||Observing my skill||4.||he attended school|
- Transform the following sentence into comparative degree. Wordsworth is one of the greatest English poets.
a) Wordsworth is greater than many other English poets
b) Very few English poets are as great as Wordsworth
c) No other English poet is as great as Wordsworth
d) Wordsworth is greater than any other English poet
28. ‘Binary + digit’ the blended form of this word is
b) binarit Off
d) binary digit
29. Match the following Column (A) with Column (B)
|Column A||Column B|
|(A)||We got interrupted power supply,_______?||1.||Can she?|
|(B)||Shreya draws well, _______?||2.||Didn’t we?|
|(C)||Swarna cannot run fast, ______?||3.||Isn’t it?|
|(D)||The bus is early today _______?||4.||Doesn’t she?|
- Fill in the blanks with correct article.
Prem is _______strongest boy in the class.
- a) a
- b) an
- c) the
- d) some
|Q .NO||ANS||Q .NO||ANS||Q .NO||ANS|