General English – Part 1
- Choose the correct synonym for the underlined word from the options given below:
Despite this, she learnt to do some chores at home
(A) exercises (B) yoga
(C) models (D) regular tasks
2. The landscape was placid but the sky was in turmoil.
The correct meanings for the underlined words are
(A) Peaceful ; Violent disturbance
(B) disturbed ; Boiling
(C) Quiet ; Troubling
(D) Simple ; Disturbed
- From a new word by affixing a suitable prefix to the root word from the options given below : ‘__________’ theism.
(A) pre (B) il
(C) semi (D) poly
- Choose a suitable suffix for the following word :
(A) ness (B) ful
(C) ship (D) ous
- Fill in the blanks with suitable articles :
Karthick is ________ famous percussionist. He is ________ Indian. He cannot hear sounds clearly as he has _______ problem in hearing.
(A) a, a, the (B) a, an, a
(C) the, an, the (D) the, an, a
- Fill in the blank with the suitable preposition :
I shall complete my homework ______ lunch.
(A) between (B) along
(C) through (D) during
- Fill in the blank with the suitable preposition :
The baby has been crying ________ the past one hour.
(A) for (B) since
(C) about (D) from
- Fill in the blanks appropriately. Choosing from the options given below :
We met last ______ and will meet again next_________.
(A) Friday, Friday
(B) On Friday, On Friday
(C) In Friday, In Friday
(D) On Friday, Friday
- Fill in the blank with suitable tense from of the verb given in brackets :
If I had known of your arrival, I __________(meet) you at the station.
(A) would meet (B) will meet
(C) had met (D) would have met
- “Whenever you need help, call the President”:
This sentence would be changed into passive voice as _________.
(A) you need help and you will be called by the President
(B) you need help and you called on the President
(C) let the President be called , whenever help is needed by you
(D) the President called for help from you
- Identify the correct passive voice form of the
following sentence. Keep the window wide open.
(A) Let the window be wide opened
(B) The window should be kept opened
(C) Let the window be kept wide open
(D) Why not the window be kept opened?
- Complete the following sentence using suitable voice
from of the verb given in brackets :
Seventy percent of the world`s total water demand ______ (use) for irrigation.
(A) are used (B) used
(C) have been used (D) is used
- Find out the correct sentence pattern for the following sentence :
The stars twinkle in the sky at night
(A) S V C A (B) S V A A
(C) S V IO DO (D) S V O A
- Fill in the blanks of the following sentence choosing the correct pair of words given below :
The police tried to ______ information from Ravi who sells______ liquor.
(A) elusive / illusive (B) illicit / elicit
(C) elicit / illicit (D) electric / erotic
- Identify the error free sentence of the following :
(A) Neither the Secretary or the Manager were available
(B) Neither the Secretary nor the Manager are available
(C) Neither the Secretary nor the manager was available
(D) Neither the Secretary or the Manager was available
- Identify the correct sentence from the options given below :
(A) Not many people are as kind hearted as Mr. Soundar
(B) Not many people are kind hearted as Mr. Soundar
(C) Many people are not as kind as Mr. Soundar
(D) Many people are not kind as Mr. Soundar
- Select the correct sentence of the following.
(A) Many a students have tried and failed
(B) Many a students have tried and failed
(C) Many more student has tried and failed
(D) Many a student has tried and failed
- Choose the appropriate plural form of the underlined word of the sentence :
The calf jumped out and ran across the street.
(A) calfs (B) calves
(C) calf (D) cattle
- Identify the compound sentence from the options given below.
(A) I studied very hard, but I failed
(B) On seeing the dog, the thief ran away
(C) When the cat is away, the mice are at play
(D) We must eat to live
- Which one of the following is a simple sentence?
(A) We must eat, so we can live.
(B) If you miss the bus, hire a taxi
(C) I studied very hard but failed
(D) It is too difficult for me to comprehend
- Form a new word by blending, the following pair of words.
Electro + execute
(A) electrocute (B) electricute
(C) electrolite (D) elexecute
- The compound word starlight is of the form
(A) Noun + verb (B) Verb + Noun
(C) Noun + Noun (D) Gerund + Noun
- Choose the suitable American English word for ‘Cot’.
(A) trunk (B) jelly
(C) guy ` (D) crib
- Replace the British English word with an equivalent American English word in the idiom given below .
“to blow one’s own trumpet”
(A) Clarinet (B) Saxophone
(C) Horn (D) Flute
- Select the correct phrase.
People voted ______the ruling party.
(A) on behalf of (B) according to
(C) in order to (D) in favour of
- Complete the sentence choosing the correct phrase from the following options.
________ his disappointment, Ali went to the post office every day.
(A) Owing to (B) Inspite of
(C) On account of (D)In case of
- Select the meanings of the underlined idiom from the options given below :
As he wants to be the top scorer, he burns the midnight oil.
(A) lits a lamp with oil
(B) buys oil in the midnight
(C) sleeps in the midnight
(D) works throughout the night
- Fill in the blank with a suitable antonym for the word underlined :
Youngsters with talent ought to be patronised
(A) Supported (B) Helped
(C) Discouraged (D) Encouraged
- Supply a suitable article to the following sentence :
Kavin, being a regular student, goes to ________ school everyday.
(A) a (B) the
(C) an (D) zero article
- Choose the correct order of prepositions from the
options given to fill in the blanks of the passage :
There is not enough space ________ the desk and the bench. Arrange them properly _________the classes commence. Then go to the room ________ the stair case, wait there ________ I come.
(A) by, on, within, till
(B) beside, after, behind, before
(C) between, before, beside, until
(D) under, inside, upto, after